Friday, November 13, 2009

I"m Going To Wash That Curl Right Out of my Hair

Some of you may or may not know, but I"m really picky when it comes to people cutting my hair. Why? Well, it starts in 4th grade when my mom takes me to get my hair cut. My cousin, Teresa, comes along since my aunt thought she could use a haircut as well.

I won't give dates, but it was a loooong time ago and hairdressers did NOT know how to cut Asian hair........let alone a 4th graders hair. To make a long story short, we leave with permed hair, short, and coiffed. I...............was..................horrified!!!!!

So that's is my PTSD for my hair stylist issue.

Fast forward to living in L.A. and finding the most fabulous hair stylist in Beverly Hills. I paid a lot as a college student, but it gave me more in return. I had no anxiety, stress, or anything remotely fearful when I had my haircut by Nick at Bruno & Soonie's.

The other importance of my hair is that I had headshots that needed to remain the same or else I would have to pay an arm and a leg for new headshots because of a new haircut. So, Nick was my hair god! Loved him till he moved to Phoenix.

It's not easy having Asian hair and finding someone who knows how to work with it. It's doubly difficult to find someone who understands Asian curly hair. You see most non-Asian people think we ALL have stick straight hair. NOT ME! It's all waves on my scalp.

Fast forward to San Francisco Bay Area where I live now. The progress has been huge and/or hair dressers "get" my hair. After finding a fabulous man, Jay, at Oxenrose, I find he left. sigh again!

Today I find someone who cuts my hair. Was I nervous? A little, but not stressed because I'm so much older and wiser? Nah, just more "go with the flow" attitude nowadays. He does a pretty darn good job. The thing is that he flat-ironed all of my hair. It's stick straight. The cut looks good though, but the verdict is still out if my hair will look good when the curls come back. But, as for now, I have straight Asian hair! Go figure!

No comments: